Translate

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Why Bother?

Many say:
"I don't watch the news.
It's too depressing."
Yes, it can be.
The creative violence
of humanity's darkness hurts,
and it pains me, too.
I cry and wonder why, too.
My heart breaks
for the pains of the world.
So why do I bother at all?
Why do I want to know about it?

Because we are all connected:
The Korean who is killed
for her political views.
The Swede born at high noon.
The Italian suffering
the aftermath of a quake.
The joy of newlyweds in Ohio.
Even the likes of a Trump.
or a Gandhi,
or a Putin,
or a Cuello,
or Papa Fran,
or a fox,
or Fiona the cat.
We are ALL connected.
I feel them,
I feel for them.
I watch and listen because
I want to know.
I watch and listen
so I can reach out -
in prayer,
to console,
to commend,
to praise,
to heal.

agd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.