Translate

Sunday, October 15, 2017

The Immigrant

I had a dream.

I traveled so far from home,
where sights and smells
had comforted my safety,
and gave me sweet memories
that fed sweet dreams,
and I could breathe
a deep sigh of contentment.

But here, now so far
from the familiar smells
and sounds
which comforted my safety,
I am torn,
a fish out of water,
gasping for the sunshine
which always warmed my bones
and gave me solace,
and a reason to smile.

New words,
new ideas,
new ways of being human,
a culture apart,
a language unthought,
a people not yet familiar,
but waiting for me
to become a part of the people
I at first feared.

I came here to live a better life.
I will not waste it.
I will adapt.
I will survive.
And I will contribute
to this wonderful nation
with my life
and with my progeny.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.