Translate

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Why I Do What I Do


I wasn't born
in a trash heap,
but I heard of someone
who was.

He met a writer-philosopher
who came to observe life
in a trash heap in Mexico,
and the trash heap man implored:
"You write about me.
I was born in this trash heap.
I live my life in this trash heap.
I will die in this trash heap.
I will be buried in this trash heap.
Write about me.
Tell them: " 'I was here.' "

There's only One Life,
and you and I and the trash heap man
are each an integral part of it.

I do what I do
because I want the world to know
I was here.
Everyone does.
And yet, every one, every thing
that ever existed, exists or will be
is known in the mind of God, the Designer,
and loved in the Heart of Reality,
whether a queen or a trash heap man
a lizard or a microbe.

And the reason I write poetry
or create art,
or play the harp
is only because
built into my dna,
my bio-chemistry
urges me to purpose,
and it is purpose
that shouts out
to the world:
 "I am here!"

So forgive me
if I tease out from you
a compliment,
a thank you,
a purr or leg rub,
even a criticism,
or if I create chaos
or vie for attention
in any way,
judged saintly or vile.
I only want someone
to affirm my existence.
I only want to take a deep breath
and with confidence, breathe out,
"I am here."

So yes, I WILL smile at you in the street,
I WILL help you without asking,
send you a card just for the hell of it.
I WILL avoid the squirrel racing across the road,
and help the turtle reach the road's edge,
and not crush the furry caterpillar.
(But to hell with the flies, ticks and mosquitos!)

I WILL condemn your faulty thinking
but will try to heal your brokenness,
to make your day more pleasant,
to encourage your purpose.
For when you fulfill YOUR purpose,
you make MY life easier,
and the world is a better place to be.
Selah.

agd - 7.15.2018 - Inspired by a story by Luis Alberto Urrea  during an interview on Krista Tippett's radio program "On Being"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.